Inshore , Offshore, League Results,
Registration, Boat Surveys, Safety, Equipment, Divers, Kyaks, Jetski's, For Sale

SADSAA NEWSLETTER

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

The Cape Boat and Ski boat Club is a private sports fishing club situated at the southern tip of Africa committed to the conservation of game fish and the promotion of responsible, ethical angling practices through science, education, rule making and record keeping.

 

The History of Millers Point.

For 35 years, beginning in 1823, the lighting of the approaches to Simons Bay was a theoretical idea bandied between the Admiralty, the secretary of State, the colonial authorities, and the Commander in Chief. The factors in constant interplay were: a) the usefulness of a site for a lighthouse b)the expense of building a lighthouse c)the expense of upkeep.

Four sites vied with each other. Noah's Ark, a mainland rock called the "Pebble" , south of Noah's Ark , Roman Rock and Millers Point.With economics playing an important role and ease of access, the plans were drawn up in May 1844 for a Pharos, or lighthouse to be built on the farm Millers Point. The prevailing opinion amongst Naval Officers at the station was that a light at Millers Point would be of little use. The essence of the case is that Roman Rock, awash at low tide and covered at high water springs, is the greatest hazard nearest to Simons Bay.So Millers Point was not chosen as the site for the lighthouse as we know it today.In years to come Millers Point would be synonymous with boating of a different nature.

In 1814 Tomas Drury was first granted use of this land site for cattle. It was later sold to Edmund Miller and inherited by his son James William Miller in 1838.Whaling played an important part on this site during this period, their valuable oil being used to provide light for the newly constructed lighthouses at Cape Point and Roman rock.The Millers Point property belonged to the Molteno family for many years with the homested and dairy farm we now know as the Black Marlin restaurant.

In 1954 a major landslide caused utter devistation crashing over the road and into the sea.The Council workers spent weeks clearing the tons of rubble and rock , bulldozing the lot into the sea and creating a new road.In 1969 another landslide sent 150 feet of tarred road 100 feet into the sea.Once again truck loads of sand and rock were dumped at Millers Point completely changing the sea frontage.These landfills became the foundations of our club today.

 © Cape Boat and Ski-Boat Club                   Affiliated to: